Well, another year has come to an end, and 2015 is almost upon us (only some 45 minutes for me). Still, despite being almost halfway through the decade, many of us, including yours truly, still refer to the 1990’s as ‘ten years ago’. Admit it, you do. So, to celebrate the advent of the mid-decade point annd to make you and myself feel ancient, here’s a list of some of the major events that happened in 1994 – twenty years ago.
- Apple releases the first PowerPC Macintosh computers. (March 14th)
- Kurt Cobain of Nirvana commits suicide and is found dead at his home. (April 8th)
- South Africa holds its first multiracial elections, effectively ending the apartheid. Nelson Mandela is chosen as the first democratic president. (April 27th)
- The Channel Tunnel, a tunnel under the English Channel connecting England and France, is finished after 7 years of work. (May 6th)
- Jupiter is hit by 21 fragments of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 over the course of 6 days. (July 16th-July 22nd)
- The US invades Haiti to restore the overthrown President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to power (September 19th).
- The US sends forces to the Persian Gulf (October 7th).
- The Eurostar international high-speed railway is officially launched (November 14th).
- Russia invades the secessionist Chechnya (December 11th).
- Netscape Navigator 1.0 is released (December 15th).
Here’s to the new year, and all the coming years! Happy New Year!